Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Memorial Weekend Fun

We went on our first camping trip of the year last weekend and we had a great time!! Every year our ward does an "unofficial" ward camping trip. This year we went to Goblin Valley State Park. I had never been there and it was pretty amazing. The first night we were there it rained like crazy, so the next day the kids were playing and climbing on very muddy rocks. I am amazed that the "goblins" are still there and have not washed away with the rain. The rock seems pretty soft, especially compared to Arches.
Eleven families came on the trip and it was great to be able to get to know them even better. Our kids had a lot of other people to play with and they are now old enough that we don't have to keep our eyes on them constantly. It makes vacationing very enjoyable.
For some reason Isaac and Eve have a difficult time staying with us. We were probably going too slow for them. I don't have a lot of pictures of Isaac for that reason. I did get him to stop long enough to take a few just to prove that he was with us.


We also went on a hike in Little Wild Horse Canyon near Goblin Valley. It is a narrow, slot canyon that in some places had 8 inches of water because of the rain we had the day before. It is a really cool hike and I would love to go back to see it on a dry day.
Ben and the kids climbed up a pretty difficult mountainside that was really high. I had a hard time watching them up that high. Our two kids are mountain goats just like their dad. They have no fear.
I posted this picture to show the narrowness of the canyon. Ben is in the back and our friends Ben, Meghan and Jason are in front of him. We had to shimmy over the water in some places, or walk through it. It was a little crazy shimmying with kids. Thankfully the Firey Furnace in Arches has given us practice at shimmying!!


We had so much fun on our 2-day camping trip that we decided to extend it and make it a 4-day trip and head down to Bryce Canyon. We live in such an amazing state! On our way to Bryce Canyon we stopped by Capitol Reef and the Grand Staircase Monument in Escalante. It was beautiful! We have decided to try to visit 4 national parks this year and make good use of the annual pass we bought.

10 comments:

Chris said...

Can I come next time? I miss UTAH!

The Haley Family said...

what a fun time!! can't wait to see you guys this weekend!!!

Meg said...

What a cute baby I didn't know you had a 3rd. You look very comfortable with 3!!

Lynnette said...

Very funny Meg. Chris you can come anytime. I would love to go on a camping trip with you. And Alison, we are really looking forward to seeing you guys at Grandma's birthday party!

Liz and John Behunin said...

Looks like you guys had a good time. We will have to go down with you sometime and check it out.

Rachel Anderson said...

Fun! You just unwittingly created one of our bestest vacation destinations of all time: Goblin Valley and Little Wildhorse Canyon. We would love to go there with you some day! We never quite get enough Behunin time in during our short Utah visits..

Kirbell said...

So fun! That really makes me miss Utah!

Ben and Tanya said...

Hi Lynnette Thanks for the comment on our blog. How fun that you have one too! It is such a fun way to catch up with friends and family. It looks like you guys had a great Memorial Weekend. How sad that we live in Utah and never take the time to go down there! Actually we camped for one night there and we were the only ones speaking english where we camped. There were people from Israel, Brazil, Japan, etc. They came from all over the world and we live a few hours away and still don't take the time to explore so. utah. One of these days...
Anyway, yes, we would love to have a get together this summer! Let's keep in touch.

Rebecca Baca said...

Hey lynette! I just started a mission blog so we can all keep linking up. I already added you. Check it out and spread the word!

spainlaspalmasmission.blogspot.com

Chris said...

Tag! You are it again. See my blog.